Motorcycle exhibition
Radolfzell - the hometown of the manufacturer of racing and touring motorcycles Champion.
The company existed between 1926 and 1933 and probably built 50 of these racing and touring machines in the workshop of Radolfzell tractor builder Julius Maier in Löwengasse.

The only example of the Champion racing motorcycle brand still in existence today belongs to Manfred Schiller from Radolfzell and is located in the Meßkirch Oldtimer Museum, where 30 motorcycles are exhibited in their original condition.

The racing motorcycle, built in 1926, has a British Villiers engine "TT-Super-Sports" with 172 cubic centimeters, was never registered for road traffic and showed her skills among other things at the Schienerberg races, which still existed in the past.
Historical background
"Speeding" defined the zeitgeist in the 1920s. Motorization meant technical progress and modernization. However, taking weekend trips to the countryside in one's own car or motorcycle was a status that few achieved despite the increased production of inexpensive small cars. Like the automobile, the motorcycle conveyed the belief in technical progress and modernization that was widespread in the Weimar Republic.

While motorcycles were still a luxury item before the First World War, sales figures rose sharply in the 1920s. Between 1921 and 1924, the number of motorcycles in Germany increased from just under 26,700 to around 98,000. Almost 800,000 motorcycles were registered in the German Reich by mid-1931. In the everyday lives of Germans, the motorcycle found use as a fast, cheap and reliable means of transportation. Neckarsulmer Fahrzeugwerke AG (NSU) was the first German company to use the assembly line for the purpose of rationalization and type standardization in motorcycle construction. The "NSU 251 R" built in 1927 was equipped ex works with a 250 cc engine. It was later replaced by a 200-cc engine - produced from 1928 onwards: machines up to this displacement were license-free.

After the Second World War, it was necessary to motorize a people again. This was realized not only by means of the 250ccm-mobiles, which one was allowed to drive with the old driving license of class 4, but also by the successful sale of two-wheelers.

In order to open up as wide a circle of buyers as possible, a new cubic capacity class was introduced on 01.01.1953: 50ccm! However, this did not yet satisfy the definition, because the legislator had a concrete idea of how the 50ccm had to be used. So they offered them either in a bicycle with an auxiliary engine, which was officially called a moped from 1954 on (max. weight 30 kg plus 10% tolerance, minimum wheel diameter 580mm, pedal cranks with 125mm length) or in a motorcycle (heavier than 33 kg, pedals, no maximum speed, driving license class 4).

From now on Alfred Kreidler comes into play, whose two-wheelers did not fit into this scheme. Due to their heavier weight than 33 kg, they were neither mopeds nor, with footrests and kickstarter, motorcycles. Kreidler had thus created the class of mopeds, which was subsequently reflected in the Lex Kreidler when the legislature amended the STVZO again on August 24, 1953.

As a result, mopeds flooded the German market, with foreign manufacturers, some of them distributed by mail-order companies, trying to spoil the German top dogs' soup until the mid-1980s, when the market for mopeds collapsed completely due to the newly introduced light motorcycles.
Our exhibited motorcycles
Ceccato was an Italian motorcycle manufacturer founded in 1947 by former pharmacist Pietro Ceccato.
In its 14-year motorcycle company history, a large model program of two-strokes was offered. Machines with displacements ranging from 50 to 175 cc were produced.

Particularly well known were the 75cc and 100cc single-cylinder block engine versions, which were supplemented at the end by a 125cc version.

For the Giro d'Italia and other motorcycle races, Ceccato built the first engine designed by Fabio Taglioni, a 75 cc OHC single engine developed with the help of Taglioni's students at the Technical Institute.

The company was active in the motorcycle sector until the 1960s, but continued to successfully produce superchargers and grew over the years. Today, Ceccato is a major player in the global compressed air market.
Moto Guazzoni was founded in Milan in 1935 by Aldo Guazzoni, an experienced mechanic, engineer and motorcycle dealer, and was active as a manufacturer of mopeds and motorcycles until the late 1970s
The company initially began manufacturing mopeds, but then concentrated on the production of purpose-built tricycles.

In the mid-1950s, Guazzoni introduced a 200cc four-stroke engine with an overhead camshaft. Guazzoni turned back to oil-burners, however, and developed a variety of potent small-displacement racing engines, including a particularly fast ten-liter two-stroke that completely dominated the competition at Monza in '55 and '56, reportedly setting between 20 and 30 world records.

In 1960, the crisis in the motorcycle market overtook many Italian companies such as Bianchi, Parilla and Rumi. The Guazzoni company, however, remained unaffected. The small Milan-based company saved itself by drastically reducing motorcycle production and turning instead to the market for go-karts and outboards.

Production stalled in 1976 when Aldo Guazzoni was struck by a serious illness that would lead to his death two years later.
Abonnieren wir Sie unseren Newsletter, wenn Sie über unsere Locations auf dem Laufenden gehalten werden möchten.